The Parish Church of Halifax was awarded Minster status in November 2009 and it is believed there has been a church on the site for at least 900 years. The current church was completed in 1438, although a number of additions were made after this date. Despite this there are still signs of these earlier buildings including a portion of the North wall that is believed to be part of a much earlier Norman church.
Visitors to the Minster are greeted by “Old Tristram”, a life size figure holding the Parish Alms box. The figure was carved in wood by John Aked around 1701 and it is believed to represent a real person who begged in the church precincts. The carving is a rare object and there are very few of it’s type in the whole of Britain. The churches medieval font and font cover are also objects of great beauty and the the font cover is widely acknowledged to be one of the finest in England.
Also worthy of note is the Wellington Chapel which as of 2007 contains the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment Regulation colours which were taken out of service in Osnabruck, Germany, in 2002. The Church also holds the Regiments colours displayed at Waterloo and the Crimean War although these are now in protective storage and not on display.
Outside the Minster, note the gargoyles that greet you as you approach the entrance from the main gate. The one nearest to the porch represents the man who played the bagpipes on the Gibbet before the condemned laid down their head for the last time. For further information on the Minster and details of services and visiting times please visit the Minster website listed below.
Opening Times: The Minster is open between 10am and 4pm throughout the summer months (BST) and between 10am and 2pm through the winter (GMT).
Admission: Free – Donations are welcomed
Access: There is wheelchair access to the majority of the building and there is a disabled toilet on-site.
Address: Causeway, Halifax, Calderdale, West Yorkshire, HX1 1QL
Tel: 01422 355436
E-mail: Not Listed
View Halifax Minster in a larger map